M.A. in Christian Education
The Master of Arts in Christian Education is designed to prepare students for a vocation of nurture, formation, and life-span discipleship in parish, institutional, or cross-cultural settings. Students will be equipped to provide leadership for educational ministries that effectively seek to present everyone mature in Christ.
- Articulate a practical theology of educational ministry grounded in the biblical narrative and orthodox theology, and informed by human sciences, insights from church history, and life experience.
- Demonstrate competency in ministry practices of leadership, teaching, and to equip congregations and organizations in the making of lifelong disciples.
- Demonstrate an incarnational ministry that respects and engages diversity: the age, gender, race, tradition, culture, and context of persons.
- Demonstrate enhanced understanding of and commitment to personal and social holiness through practices of moral, personal, and spiritual formation, in a context of accountability to a community of faith, and dependence on the Spirit of Christ.
- Commit to cultivate holy love of God and neighbor demonstrated by a knowledge of and practice in the Christian disciplines including works of service, with particular attention to a Wesleyan understanding of the means of grace.
|Hrs||Course ID||Course Name|
|3||CD501||Vocation of Ministry (must be taken in initial 21 hrs at ATS)|
|3||MS501||Missional Formation (must be taken in initial 21 hrs at ATS)|
|3||NT(IBS)510/511||NT(IBS)510 Matthew -or- NT(IBS)511 Mark|
|3||TH501||Basic Christian Doctrine|
|3||CD553||Seminar in Christian Education|
|3||CD560/660||Ministry of Teaching -or- Teaching the Bible to Youth and Adults|
|3||CD613||The Theology and Practice of Equipping the Laity|
|3||CD615||Family Development: Discipleship and the Home|
|3||TH601||Theology of John Wesley|
|3||CD605||Gospel Catechesis: Transformative Discipleship [PRQ: TH501; BT501 recommended]|
|3||CD616/655||Young and Middle Adult Dev. and Disc. -or- Ministry with Children through the Church|
|3||CD651||Professional Foundations of Christian Education|
|3||CD663/YM510||Aging, Spirituality and Ministry -or- Foundations of Youth Ministry|
|1||MM520||Mentored Ministry—One [PRQ: CD501, MS501]|
|1||MM620||Mentored Ministry—Two [PRQ: MM520]|
|1||MM720||Mentored Ministry—Three [PRQ: MM520, MM620]|